My phone


Before the year ends, I'm planning to buy me an android phone. For anyone who knows me, this is quite a leap. Consider this, my current phone is a Nokia model that costs less than 1,000 pesos. I would have stuck it out with my previous even more basic phone (that worked just fine) if not for the JAVA applications required to access my bank account. So yeah, my phone is basically the kind given to drivers and yayas.

It's not that I am a techno-phobe nor am I that guy who just refuses to go with current trends. It's not like that at all. It's just that I remember my first PC, a pentium 133 Mhz with 200 MB of hard disk space. I remember burning CDs with that when CDs cost 500 pesos a pop. How much do CDs cost nowadays? 10 pesos? And it is not even CDs anymore, they are DVDs.

So yeah, I am amazed by the 800 Mhz and gigabytes upon gigabytes of memory currently available on net-phones. And we all know that this is not the end. Next year's version would have even more. And more on top of that in the years to come. So when should I buy the next phone? This year when I know this year's phone is going to be next to obsolete before next year ends?

Hmmmm.... I know. I'm  buying, before the year ends, last year's phone for half the price.

Comments

  1. Android ROCKS!!! You wont regret it. The free apps will be more than enough to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your decision. I had to buy a new phone meself since my older phone died on me. As long as it works and suits your needs, go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I am decided. And it is only because I have seen that android phones have finally breached the chasm between novelty and functionality. I can see this being a good appliance given the nature of my work (I need to access my email quick from the boondocks). But still, I am not willing to buy THAT almost 30K phone that will be sold for 10K next year. I think a good lower end android phone, or last year's model sold at a discount, will suit my needs just fine. Maybe a Samsung Galaxy Mini?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get HTC. Wildfire S is only 12k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too late. I already went out and bought the cheapest entry level to Android -- Samsung Galaxy Mini. Total cost (upgrades and new pouch) roughly 9K. So far, mukhang cellphone naman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. not much into cellphones and other gadgets, but as my husband said when i bought my Nokia 3110C several years back, get something you really REALLY like so that you'll be happy every time you get to look at it :D good luck on your decision!

    by the way, do you mind checking out on A Teacher Pays Tribute?

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have the same outlook. though my phone currently average (just between high end and low end), i still prefer to use it than buying a newer one.

    i simply need a thing to text and call, hear music, and sometimes take a picture or a video.

    it's a matter of purpose. not simply hype. that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. REVIEW AFTER 4 DAYS USE

    Remember that this is my first android phone. First, while pinching is a good idea, still it feels a lot like looking at the internet through a straw. I can get my gmail, but apparently, I need to make a new yahoo mail for android. My old yahoo mails will not load. Battery life, when used as an internet device, will not last more than 6 hours. You need to download special apps (available naman free sa market) to save battery and yes your LOAD! I lost almost 100 php load because my phone keeps automatically connecting to the internet. I've downloaded one app to kill tasks and another to quickly turn on and off my wi-fi, gps, 3g etc. Mukhang that solved the problem. I was loading 30 pesos at a time (via SmartMoney which worked just fine) before I figured that out. I've gone almost 24 hours now without losing load to phantom charges.

    Final judgement. I'm a little ambivalent. Battery issue is keeping me from fully enjoying the thing. I'm a little hesitant to use it outside the house and risk having a dead phone in my pocket. I am tempted to keep the old phone for backup. And just use this as my mobile internet device. But argh, two phones? I promised myself I would never carry two phones. I don't even have a dual sim phone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts