It is only because I love San Miguel Pale Pilsen too much, and I do not want it to suffer the same fate as my other love, Winston Reds, that I am doing this for free. If someone can get the word out, and pass the message to the people at McCann Erickson (are they still handling San Miguel?), please do so.
I heard that San Miguel Pale Pilsen has been suffering in sales in recent years. The reason why it is getting harder and harder to find it in the cheaper carinderia cum restobars (my favorite hangout). The younger consumers think San Miguel Pale Pilsen is "daddy's beer". That McCann would "idiotly" (if that is even an adverb) continue with the "isang platitong mani" ads, which is Bay Elorde vintage, does not help. What are you thinking? The joke was funny the first few times. It is no longer funny now. Come up with new material. You are not getting paid to just re-state the same thing over and over again.
My take on San Miguel's right product positioning, it is the ONLY REAL BEER. Light beers are for people who got bamboozled into thinking that it is the "healthy" alternative. Yeah right. Go smoke some dried up papaya leaves and tell me that it is healthier than tobacco. Those who drink strong beer are manual laborers who can not afford the real thing. San Miguel pale pilsen is the real beer. So if you want the perfect happy day, if you are going to drink beer anyway, might as well make it San Miguel pale pilsen.
I posted this on a blog of a friend. http://myunpurethoughts.blogspot.com/2010/05/things-that-make-me-happppyyyyy.html
The perfect happy day:
1. Absolutely nothing that needs to get done and nowhere I need to be.
2. Triple-header, that's back-to-back-to-back NBA playoff games on TV. Plus a good fight on another channel I can surf to during commercial breaks.
3. One comfy beanbag chair.
4. One cooler with a case of ice cold San Miguel Pale Pilsen (nothing else will do -- perfect happy day, remember).
5. One whole jumbo Andok's Lechon Manok. No need for knives or fork. To be eaten viking/neanderthal style. Hmmm... add a family-sized pizza there... meat lovers. One jumbo andok's might not last the whole day.
6. Absolutely no texts or calls. GF is out somewhere shopping with her sisters.
7. No uninvited guests. This is ME time.
8. Adult diaper. So I don't even have to get up to pee.
9. I pass out at the end of this perfect day.
10. Oh yeah, hopefully at least one of my teams won. LOL!
That is my personal definition of a perfect happy day. Of course, this might not fly well with the clients, being too barbaric and all. But hey McCann people, do not make me spoon feed everything to you. Re-work the idea and smooth out the rough edges.
How's this for an idea? Video is of a man (his back to the camera) lounging on a beach chair, out in the beach is the image of a lone sexy woman in bikini (implied message, that is the woman he consorts with). Chargen on the perfectly blue sky in cloud-white colored font is "The Perfect Happy Day". Voice over (of the man). "Nothing to do. Nowhere I need to be. No phone calls. No text messages. Just me and my San Miguel. For the perfect happy day, nothing else but San Miguel Pale Pilsen will do. Final text on screen, "San Miguel beer, all else pales in comparison."
The idea is still rough, I admit. But it is something you can chew on. Go to work McCann people. Save my beer!
(image from here: www.sanmiguelpalepilsen.com.ph/our_beer.html)