Metaphors


A little past noon, somewhere in Cubao, and I found myself on one end of a pedestrian lane needing to get to other side. Right away, I thought to myself, this is as good as metaphors go in symbolizing what is wrong with our country. Total chaos. Pushing and shoving. Jeepneys, FX taxis, and private vehicles, "parked" right smack in the middle of the pedestrian lane, impeding everyone else's progress. It was hot, polluted, and noisy -- enough to make one crazy.

But then I told myself, if I can not be part of the solution, at least, I will not be part of the problem. I will follow the rule of law, even if no one else does anymore. And so I waited for the little green man (go signal for pedestrians) to give me the cue to cross. Believe me, no else was bothering with that. And those lights, I imagine, did not come cheap. I wondered how much kickback came with the installation of that device.

One minute quickly turned to two. Then five. Remember, it was a little past noon. It was hot, noisy, and I actually thought I was getting a little high from the gas fumes. It was then that I realized, the little green man has been dead all this time. The only way for me to get to the other side was to go with the flow and like everyone else, break the law.

And that I thought was just perfect as far as metaphors go.

Comments

  1. I know a metaphor joke. But it's too silly and old so I'll lay it off.

    Most of the time, I tend to think like that, Don Dee. People who geek over Dungeons and Dragons call it the lawful good alignment. It is a very exacting alignment to play and the rewards are not readily apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone told me a long time ago that traffic (including pedestrians) in our beloved country can be called "Organized Chaos". They do look chaotic to many (especially foreigners). But one way or the other, people still know what to do and gets to where they want to go even without talking to each other.

    Dongguan is even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe PNoy got the memo. First on his agenda is to fix the traffic. PNoy must be reading my blog. Yey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe one of your earlier posts about his mom got to him. Hehehe. Maybe you could urge him to join our cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I believe PNoy is also a strict observer of mungo-less Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhh, he has rheumatism too? Yeah!

    ROTFLMAO!

    (Please excuse the recent comments. Yes, I am insane. At least I think so.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts