Christian


I am not much of a religious man. I do not even go to church anymore. I am the last person you would imagine who would quote, verbatim, a biblical line, chapter and verse. That is just not me.

But God knows I want to be a good Christian. And by Christian, I do not mean that in the protestant/born-again sectarian sense. Oh god please, no. I am not that Christian, but something else. 

By Christian I mean in the truest sense of becoming a follower of Jesus - the Christ. Minus the (mis)interpretation of a Brother Mike or a Brother Eli, even a Brother Eddie. And yes even minus the politics of the Mitsu-bishops. Minus the "I belong to this church and not that church." Minus the labels. Like Jesus always wanted. 

The Pharisees, apparently, has lived far much longer even after Jesus was crucified. 

I try hard to be a good Christian in the context of what Jesus tried to teach all of us. Turn the other cheek. Love thy neighbor, even your enemies. Do not judge, lest ye be judged. Feed the hungry.

Try, of course, being the operative word.

It is a cold cruel world after all. It's hard not to be jaded. It's hard not to feel numb. When all around you is poverty and suffering. And people who would take advantage should you show the slightest hint of weakness.

But every now and then, we are all reminded, that kindness is not a weakness. Like in this video, all of 30 seconds long, captured during last Tuesday's storm. Outside GMA's compound along Edsa,  a young woman literally gives the jacket off her back to a little girl who would otherwise be completely naked.

I wish I am this kind of Christian. I wish anyone who would rally against the RH bill would be this kind of Christian. I wish all who would dare speak on behalf of Jesus would be this kind of Christian.



Comments

  1. I really like your description of being a Christian. That is the most honest one I have ever read, seen, or heard.

    I like you try to live my life as a follower of Christ as you mentioned above. I'm glad I found your blog. I found your link on mylot, just in case you were wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I hope the local references in the blog post wasn't too bad for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes :) i just want to have a peaceful life,

    |Playgroup Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts