Starbaks


I have always had this disdain for Starbucks. No, check that, not the business (because it's genius) but the fools who fall prey to the scam. Barely above minimum wage earners who spend half their day's wage on one tall Americano -- not even that good a cup of coffee. Seriously, you people heard of Dunkin Donuts? Get your coffee there.

Yeah, I am that guy. I take pride in wearing torn jeans to work and making four-five times more than most of these pretentious fools, drinking their pretentious coffees. And it is not just Starbucks, it is anything and everything that I see as overspending to impress. Mac computers, iPhones, branded jeans, Nike shoes, original non-pirated DVDs.

One early afternoon, as I started my day off quietly nursing my beer, I noticed the guy selling isaw and barbecue outside the OTB was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and slacks. This, of course, ticked me off.

After three or so beers, whenever he delivered my order, I started calling him "manager". He didn't get it -- that I was insulting him. He would always just smile and get on with his job. But finally, when the beer was sufficient to make me mad over nothing, I had to confront him, something to the effect that the isaw business must be really that good for him to be dressed like a frickin Makati executive!

"I'm sorry sir. I came from church and had no time to change. I need to sell isaw and barbecue to augment my meager income."

It was Sunday. I didn't even know. All I knew was that I was going to spend the day drinking till I pass out. And I thought I was the better guy than this man who went to church then had to rush to his small business so he can feed his family.

Ever felt like you wanted to flush yourself in the toilet?

I apologized. Gave him a fat tip. And said a quick prayer.

Comments

Popular Posts