It cuts both ways


The SWS (or was it Pulse Asia?) recently conducted a survey. Which would Filipinos rather have, a good looking partner or a rich partner? It is the usual near V-day stunt you half expect from a survey body that seeks to keep their brand name in the news. And GMA 7 obliged.

The survey was close. Nearly 50-50. But the "rich" won by a hair -- within the survey's margin of error or darned close to it. Of course, GMA 7 would rather sell that as "Filipinos now prefer money over looks".  And Mike Enriquez sold that before the end of each gap until the news segment was actually aired. You know how tabloid news programs keeps us viewers hooked with stingers like "shark attack in Boracay," only to be disappointed that in the actual news segment we see that it is a 6-inch baby shark that bit the the toe (and not even a severe wound) of a tourist.

But I am not even disappointed with that as I've consciously set the bar low. But even with lowered expectations, still I was disappointed that the survey did not ask this follow-up question I was dying to ask as I listened to the man-on-the-street interviews of Mark Sembrano to support the segment. "How would you like to be judged by a potential partner? By your looks or by your finances?"

I think I read somewhere that however you measure others, you shall be measured. Happy V-Day people!

Comments

  1. well.. good thing i'm not one of those who were asked, lol! coz i think i will be offended by the 'very' limited choices (just two, right?)having a 'not very good looking guy' for a husband, i think i don't fall into any of their categories, lol! Happy Valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fade. Money is made and spent...

    I am a romantic fool who still believes in UNCONDITIONAL LOVE! Whatever happened to that? Did the jejemons kill it along with grammar?

    Love me for the poet in me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts