Just 10 years ago


Believe it or not, I didn't have a cellphone. Not even a pager. My first cellphone, a Nokia 3210 hand-me-down from kuya, would come later in the year. What this means, which is unthinkable now, was that when I was not within range of a land-line (home or office), I was off the grid. And no one can complain about that. I can disappear from everyone. And that was simply that.

I no longer have that freedom. I've answered calls from the comforts of my "throne" (should be a sacred place). Even once (or twice) while doing it with my significant other (just had to take the call). Remember the good old days when it was considered bad manners to make phone calls around noon or 6 pm, because they're supposed to be mealtimes? Or calls after 11 pm better be a life and death kind of important? Ever had a text after 12 MN that simply says "musta na?" Ugh. Chit-chat at that unholy hour? Or worse, 2 or 3 text messages during important meetings, and it is you provider telling you about their latest promo?

The more connected we get, the less freedom we have. I bet Mr. Bell didn't foresee this coming.

I used to have a Globe phone. Kept the number for about 5 years if only because they hardly offered unlimited texts options. Hey, if you are going to text me, it must be important enough that you are willing to spend 1 peso for it. But such arrogance had to end, when the significant other insisted I get a Smart phone, so she can text me all she wants.

I have two Facebook accounts, four active email accounts, one cellphone, this blog, and the other one, and I've lost the feeling of "being lost".

What a difference a decade makes.

Comments

  1. What a difference, indeed. I, myself have three phones, sun, smart and globe and I'm starting to hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who actually know me, know that I don't do chit-chat via text -- I hate having to do multiple keystrokes for one letter. All calls and sms I get are important. Oh except for Smart who insists I keep using my smart money 6 hours or so after I've just used that service. But yeah, I have this love-hate relationship with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a time when I hated my phone because someone kept sending me unimportant messages. I solved the problem by turning my phone on only at certain times of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I had that luxury Death Dance. The really important calls I have to take within 20 secs or all hell will break lose. And it can come at any moment. I've had a text message asking me to go back to work at 3 am.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts