What are the odds?

 
Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by the fact that getting 90% in the medical board exam considered a very high mark? 

I've heard it is very hard. I can only imagine. I am not even qualified to take it. So maybe I am just being naive. And who am I to complain, right? But think about it for a minute. Ninety percent means that he/she was wrong 1 out of 10. This newly minted medical doctor, now licensed by the board to literally cut you up every which way, is wrong 10% of the time. And he's on top of his class. 

I don't know about you, but I don't like those odds. I play poker online and I've seen too many 90-percent-sure-things drown on the river. 

Is this the reason why they call the work of a medical doctor a "practice"?

Comments

  1. Don Dee, i sleep next to a doctor most nights. On that basis, you could say i've had quite a bit of exposure to the medical profession. Also a lot of practice playing doctor. Most important of all, i have a healthy fear of her, my bedmate, despite my avowed status as Tunay Na Lalaki.

    The human body is so complicated and there are so many things that can go wrong with it that it has become impossible for most doctors to be competent in all areas of procedure and treatment. That's why there are specialties and sub-specialties because medical knowledge has increased so much and it continues to do so rapidly.

    One way to look at the medical board exam is that it is, at the end of formal medical education, just a way to gauge if a graduate has absorbed a modicum of knowledge that would indicate sufficient competence to continue on to the next phase, which is finding acceptance to train as a resident for four years, then as a fellow for two years, before he or she becomes a junior consultant, then a senior consultant. There are also other board exams to get certified in various specialties and sub-specialties (e.g., doctor of the right big toe, doctor of the left big toe). And they always have to update their knowledge.

    Anyway, i've lost my trend of thought, and i don't remember what my point was anymore. Probably there was none to start with.

    So as not to be completely OT, personally, my favorite medical procedure is the complete gynecological examination for young, good-lloking, hot, single females. Out of a sense of civic responsibility, i have repeatedly volunteered to assist at this procedure, but my good intentions have always been misinterpreted, even maligned. Actually, you can perform this procedure on your own, but it's considered practicing medicine without a license.

    Peace.

    JHP

    ReplyDelete
  2. That your post made no point, is keeping within the theme of that particular blog entry, JHP! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts