The problem with euphemisms



"Mentally retarded" is a very harsh term. Accurate, but harsh. And so, to be politically correct, we've invented a way to soften the blow. "Special" is the euphemism for it now. That's ok, I guess. And I really have no problems with the kind intention of this practice. Except that it does have unintended consequences.


The trouble with euphemisms is that eventually the word will lose its original meaning and just take on the new context of what it replaced in the first place. "Gay" used to be just a word for happy, believe it or not. And now, even "getting it on" means something else. Why can't we just say the right words?


It's a little unfair. A kid who can play Beethoven at 3 can no longer be special. He must be something else. Gifted maybe. But no, not special. And I can no longer be gay. "Informal settlers" can no longer be evicted from squatting. "Police intelligence", euphemism for "spying on you" is completely legal. And of course, "honorable", euphemism for crook, no longer has the right ring to it. I don't want to be "honorable", I can tell you that.



The newest euphemism of course is "PNP SWAT" which now means total incompetence. Well, at least this one is understandable if not much deserved.


But aside from the first and the last examples, maybe its high time we go back to naming things/people for what they truly are. If nothing else, to avoid all the confusion. Words are only words, after all. And meaningless minus the context. 


Representative from the second district of Pampanga? Don't call her honorable. "Woman of ill repute" would be more accurate.

Comments

  1. over the years, the world has gone from being too sensitive to titles to paranoid. political correctness, equality, etc. and while we're at it, we may as well throw in human rights in the picture. and what picture? polaroid. now, don't you dare call someone mongoloid. and no, don't call someone autistic, say person with autism. it is the evolution of man. the world gone mad when men learned to use words. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of times when someone calls something as it really is, others would get offended for no apparent reason. Then this person who calls the shots as is would be labeled "insensitive" and words similar to it.

    So in order for the insensitive person to avoid being the outcast learned how to use euphemisms, which eventually evolved and became lies. =)

    Ah, the wonders of intelligence! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People think I am extremely rude for calling things for what they truly are. Remember my "konduktora ng eroplano" kicker on the "For the greater glory of love" post? I am really like that in real life. People call me a-hole for that. I don't mind. I OWN IT (the title "a-hole" I mean). If being an a-hole means being honest about things, I'd take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree. I'd rather be called a brutally frank bitch if it means I say what I mean and mean what I say. At least people would know where I'm coming from, instead of second-guessing what's inside my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maester Dondz, I once had to literally avoid a knife thrown at me for being too honest to keep myself from being annoying to the point of tears. Hehehe.

    Anyway, don't you fin it annoying why on TV or on the Radio, it is acceptable if an expert or the interviewer refers to genitals as "Vagina" and "Penis" while to utter the words "T!t3" and "K!k3" is considered a mortal sin? (Look, I even had to censor my own words just by netiquette habit.)

    Since when is plain Tagalog "bastos" and who declared English as otherwise?

    Oh, by the way, you missed "Specially Abled". I think it's supposed to be another term for "Talented Cripple who has found his true calling."

    Speaking of which, I remembered the Specially abled cripple along some old street who is able to walk when no one's looking. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Noz, that would really make him special then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts