Chowking


On the ride back home yesterday, I saw on one of those humongous billboards lining up the NLEX, an advertisement for Chowking's new product, tender beef broccoli. Maybe I was just hungry on the very long ride yesterday, or maybe the picture was just really shot well, but when I tried it out for lunch half an hour ago, my great expectations for the new product was definitely not met. It was, ahmm, just ok. No big deal. 


It was palatable, don't get me wrong. But the picture on the billboard promised me nothing less than total happiness. My hunger was sated, my curiosity was answered, but my expectations, unfulfilled.


The meal in fact reminded me of an argument I once had with Chowking's crew on account of the picture of their pancit canton not meeting reality! The fools must've ordered one pancit from Max's and shot the picture as their own. Haha. Remember those? They are not doing that anymore. But something about the new billboard. I am not too sure what. It spoke to me. Correct that... lied to me.


On another note, what's the deal with Chowking counter girls always needing your name? Is it not enough that they give you one of those plastic numbers? What's the deal with that? Curious as I am, I've never bothered to ask. I just always use a fake name. I am Alex (Sarmenta, first cousin of Romnick, lol!).

Comments

  1. Dude, that's called advertising.

    No matter how shitty the actual product is, they have to make it look good.

    Be careful about their famed "Salsa con Laway" though. Chowking crew have this habit of serving the said delicacy to those who are picky about their tastes.

    It was in Chowking that I tasted "saltier than bagoong Congee". After that, I promised myself never to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frustrated, I bought from SM grocery ingredients so I can cook it myself. But since my GF does not eat beef, I will do a version using pork. Will commence cooking as soon as I post this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did it turn out? Iba pa rin ang beef and broccoli kasi yung cut ng beef contrast sa texture ng broccoli. Anong cut ng pork ang ginamit mo?

    You're better off eating pares sa Jonas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It went so well that if you are a woman, you'd want to marry me after eating my meal. lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double D - It's THAT gooood? WOW. :P

    Neckro - lagi kame dati nun sa Retiro after school. Kakagutom naman tong post na to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. had the same chowking beef broccoli last saturday. didn't know it's a new offering. i bought it because twas the first picture i saw on the menu board. i bought the lauriat package. well, what can i say -- i've had better. didn't finish the whole thing. i should have gone to a palengke turu-turo instead. oh, when will i ever learn? - KL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wan-wan restaurant (I miss the old place) served the best beef broccoli ever! And does not cost even 100 pesos (back in the 90s). Best beef pares, neckromancer, was Rudy's, near the corner of Timog and Quezon Ave. Oh don't bother looking for it there, that too is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That, Don Dee, is arguable. :) Pero hindi ako naniniwala sa binanggit sa TV show na Ang Pinaka.

    Beef broccoli is so easy to make na big deal na yun para sa ChowKing?

    I'm going to start being anonymous too. Baka bumubuo sila ng directory ng mga customer na pwedeng duraan ang congee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apparently, they are taught, unbelievably, by their head chefs, that when a customer insists the food doesn't taste good or tastes different from what it should be, to serve the dish ala salsa con laway style.

    The head chef specifically and masterfully lines them up (the kitchen crew) and forces them spit onto the bowl one by one then has the food server serve the delicately prepared specialty.

    It has been legend enough that whoever gets a taste never comes back.

    Don't worry Boss Neckro. You're safe as long as you don't complain about the food. Hehehe.

    But in my case, I decided never to come back after tasting that "saltier than bagoong" congee. Oh, and did I fail to mention the rotten century eggs? :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts